Interested in applying to be a part of the Camp Akalaka team? CLICK HERE!
We are looking for enthusiastic, attentive Camp Counselors to lead, support and motivate campers as they enjoy all that camp has to offer. The camp counselor will help plan events and lead group events, monitor campers and respond to incidents, log events and maintain records relating to activities. Camp Counselors should be positive, proactive and caring while focusing on giving campers a fun and safe camp experience.
- Work with other camp staff members to plan and coordinate camp events
- Lead and support campers as they participate in age-appropriate activities
- Monitor campers to ensure compliance with camp rules and prevent accidents
- Clean, maintain and ensure proper use of camp facilities and equipment
- Report and record details of incidents, such as accidents and rule violations
- Memorize emergency procedures and enforce camp rules
- Participate in staff meetings
- High school diploma, equivalent, or active enrollment in school
- Experience working in camps, with children, or with specific activities preferred
- First aid, CPR, and additional training is beneficial
- Physical ability to participate in activities
- Ability to pass a background check, a physical, and proof of immunizations
- High level of responsibility and accountability
- Upbeat, engaging personality
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
Class Specialty Counselors
STEM/STEAM/Camp Counselor: Responsible for planning and instructing campers in “New Aged Campers” and “Cooking Wizardry” classes. Interests in mad science, technology, and STEM/STEAM projects required.
Physical Activity/Camp Counselor: Responsible for planning and instructing campers in “Nothing but Nets” and “Hop, Skip, and a Flip” classes. Experience with net sports, gymnastics and dance a plus.
Animal Science/Camp Counselor: Responsible for planning and instructing campers in “Utterly Cool”, “Hooves, Beaks and Play” and “Claws, Paws and Fun” classes. Knowledge of animal handling/interactions and animal-related educational activities required.
Craftsmanship/Camp Counselor: Responsible for planning and instructing campers in “Small Engine” and “Woodworking” classes. Basic knowledge of workshop fundamentals, tool safety and small project assembly required.
Culinary/Camp Counselor: Responsible for planning and instructing campers in “Our Wild Garden” and “Chefs in Training” classes. Knowledge of gardening, composting and cooking preferred.
Fine Arts/Camp Counselor: Responsible for assisting with curriculum, planning and instructing campers in “Strummin and Drummin” and “Painting 101” classes. This role is great for anyone with expertise in art, performance and musical instruments.
ADK Enrichment/Camp Counselor: Responsible for planning and instructing campers in “Traditional Campers and Wilderness Excursions” classes. Knowledge of wilderness survival techniques, fishing, ecology and love of the outdoors preferred.
Click here to apply now!